Star Citizen Alpha 3.8.2 LIVE is only a few days away and only 4 weeks after is the planned release of 3.9 LIVE the next major patch. So where are we with Progress on the PTU with 3.8.2 at the moment?
The Patch aims to bring some fixes to the 3.8 branch as well as a couple of features likes LTP being implemented BUT oddly this is overshadowed for many by the Carrack being here.
The Testing Focus of the current PTU is on
- Anvil Carrack (Landed/Landing specific issues)
- Long Term Persistence (LTP) – There did appear to be an actual full wipe this time
- General gameplay and traversal
- Bug regression Testing that’s to make sure previous fixes are sticking
The f Patch actually had a little bit more meat to it’s bones this time as they track down some of The Carrack’s hangar and landing problems:
They have made a couple temporary changes to the Carrack that will help them track down some issues with how it behaves while landed. With these they would like to have people test the Carrack in certain landing circumstances to see how it handles!
Test out the spawning, landing, and takeoff cycle in hangars and on planetary surfaces as many times as possible. We are looking into the jittering while landed issue to see if it happens more on the initial spawn of the ship or if it continues to happen while landing the ship in other locations either manually or with auto landing in hangars.
- Temporarily increased the spawning requirement on the Carrack to size XL landing pads/hangars.
We are tracking down issues related to the Carrack clipping into hangar objects and doors and have temporarily made this change while we continue to investigate. This will limit spawning of the ship to Area18 and Lorville.
- Temporarily removed the ability to swap most components out on the Carrack.
Due to the mass calculation issues with component swaps we are removing this functionality temporarily while we investigate further. Swapping weapons should still function normally.
- Temporarily increased the Carrack’s QT fuel storage.
This is a temporary change to help with the lack of ability to use more efficient Quantum drives.
- Moved Carrack landing gear springs closer to the body to improve reliability while landed.
- Added open/close button near the bottom left of the Carrack ramp.
- Adjusted height of the railing around lifts in the Carrack.
- Completed further lighting polish pass on the Carrack.
- Completed further Carrack VFX, LOD, and Art polish pass.
- Carrack VTOL thruster VFX should now show correctly.
- Fixed a client crash.
The Carrack gets more and more LOVE but it is the focus of the patch so that makes sense… it has 88k Capacity for QF now which is plenty for the ship imo, now it just needs a way of mining or producing QF… that is my main concern for the Carrack at this stage, IMO in needs to be able to be pretty much self sufficient for maybe days at a time without having to go back to a port, therefore it needs to be able to collect and create food, water, fuel and to some extent repair… there are on board facilities for minor repair, a med bay to look after it’s crew and facilities for food and drink, I expect you can collect this on planets if you needed to BUT QF is currently the unknown for the ship.
There are still a load of bugs to fix in the 3.8 branch tho the Known Issues listed being:
- Escort missions may not proceed after reaching the rendezvous marker.
- Sometimes repair services are unavailable when they should be present.
- After a ship is repaired, detachable components will remain attached to the ship when destroyed and a duplicate component will fall off.
- Repair fails if you select repair and refuel simultaneously. Work-around: Select each service individually.
- Cycling through character customizer options can sometimes cause a client crash.
- Once an Animus spare magazine has been emptied the player can no longer equip fresh magazines in the same slot.
- Ships can be displayed as “unknown” after destruction, be available for spawn, but not appear on their specified hangar.
- Entering or exiting via EVA can sometimes cause the player to turn/spin suddenly and harm themselves.
- Objects can fall through the floor when dropped.
- When server FPS is low the mobiGlas can sometimes close immediately after open.
- An extra static train can appear at Lorville and prevent the use of trains.
- The visuals of the ships on the rental screen may have missing areas or disappear completely.
- The Caterpillar will occasionally rock or tip over on itself after landing on a planetary body.
- CryAstro services may not work at various stations and major ports. Work-around: Hover before landing and request services just above the pad.
- Rentals and/or rental timers may not work when renting a second ship.
- Party makers will vanish form their respective players if they die far from their respawn point.
- If a player’s ship is destroyed after bed logout they will return to the server at origin.
- NPCs may sometimes be doing usable animations in places that they shouldn’t.
- Countermeasures are not working as intended to deter missiles.
- The 890 Jump does not have the correct cargo capacity.
- The Combine Cannon and distortion weapons are not working as intended.
- If the quantum travel marker is at the edge of a moon or planet its possible to QT through the moon and explode..
- Purchased commodities will often visually not appear in the ship’s hold.
- Players may experience stalls in performance shortly after loading into Star Marine and firing weapons.
- NPC beacon notifications will sometimes display an incorrect distance.
- AI ships can often get stuck in the middle of their motion and not advance further.
- AR makers for enemies can sometimes be seen through walls in Star Marine.
That is a lot of bugs… some of this is already planned to be fixed in 3.9 BUT it’s doubtful much more will be addressed for the 3.8.2 Patch beyond getting the Carrack in a good state and the general performance and stability of the patch to a good level. I would expect a Carrack sale as well when this is live, there is a Expedition Skin that looks like it might be available at the same time too. It’s likely Pisces C8 to C8x upgrades will also be available.
And that’s where we stand with 3.8.2 at the moment, we should have it in our hands LIVE for the weekend until then it’s in OPEN PTU so get testing if you have the spare time and inclination to do so.